Search This Blog

Sunday, March 12, 2017

A new enclosure for my BITX40

I finally got around to stuffing my bitx 40 into a metal enclosure. Opportunity came in the form of a bad power supply in the garbage that was the right size. I repurposed its carcass.

Luckily the base material was aluminum so that was easy to drill, however the lid was steel. My drill bits suck on steel and are probably very dull now. I needed to drill holes in this cover for an internal speaker. These speaker holes took me almost 30 seconds a piece to get through the material. I would like to add more then I have but it is too time consuming with crappy bits.

The transceiver has everything but the battery and antenna tuner in it. The mic is on the face of it and the internal speaker on top. I couldn't use the audio jacks for external connections because the enclosure material was too thick to mount them. There is a hole for a future jack connection possibly for a speaker mic.

In the attached picture I have my homebrew L-match on top. This duo will soon be on the air. Switching the enclosure and extending some of the wiring took me all Sunday afternoon.

The new metal enclosure should help keep my vfo from shifting when something comes in close proximity to it. This was happening with the plastic enclosure. It is also more durable, I may even be able to take it on a trip...

No comments:

Post a Comment