Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Using an Xbox power supply for other things

I was walking along one day and just happened to glance in the garbage, lo and behold I found a 16.5 Amp 12 volt power supply! I have converted the proprietary connector of the power supply to something more useful to me.

I have started using molex connectors from PC power supplies for my 12V power connection pigtails on my home systems. These are pretty easy to find. The male end is a little more difficult. I spliced in this connector using the 2 inner pins of the molex connector for ground and the outer ones for +12V.
http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s293.photobucket.com/user/B-e-t-a/media/Fan%20write-up/1_PSU_molex_connector.jpg.html
http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?219,191038

I attached a switch to the blue and red wires on the power supply to turn it on and put it back into standby. The measured standby power in is about 1 watt, not bad but not great either.

Cut off the old connector -AC9LF
New fancy switch to bring power supply out of standby mode. -AC9LF


I tried plugging in a standard IEC computer power cord into the power supply and found that there was a tab in the way. It looks like this is a 120Vac input only power supply and it may be keyed to prevent use on 240Vac systems. I didn't have a worry about that as I only have 120Vac outlets around. I snipped off the plastic and was good to go.

Defeated tab for regular IEC use. -AC9LF
I connected this power supply to my 2 meter VHF radio and was pleasantly surprised to find that the power supply did not produce any noticeable RF noise on the 2 meter band. I have yet to test it with my HF radio running, but so far it seems to be pretty clean.

New connector plugged into VHF radio. -AC9LF







No comments:

Post a Comment